the count down

I've known this day would come for a few months now.

When Matt and I moved into our new ward we were called to be the "Ward Athletic Directors" or "Enthusiasts" as we like to call ourselves. This means that we announce the athletic activities, and as the two of us agreed on, participate in the athletics whenever we can. So far it hasn't been too bad for my non-sporty-afraid-of-the-ball-I-danced-all-my-life-and-avoided-any-interaction-with-sports self. Nobody showed up for softball, and I was busy with kids for volleyball.

But I promised I would participate in the ladies basketball, and tonight it begins.

So here I am, watching the clock as it ticks all to quickly away- closer and closer to game time.

I feel nervous- unprepared- I should have been practicing all this time! I should have found a hoop somewhere and practiced shooting hoops or baskets. I should have asked my sister-in-law to show me some, uh, moves or drills or tricks or whatever it's called when you dribble the ball down the court and make a basket. I don't even know exactly how the game works.

But I am going to do this. I am going to show up at game time, take my place on the basketball court, and kiss my pride goodbye. What have I got to lose right? It's just church ball.

Here's to taking a giant step outside my comfort zone, and hopefully not getting smacked in the middle of my face by the ball!

Comments

Hayley said…
you sound like me when i played a game of jr's vs. sr's in high school. yeah. it was that bad. i just ran around like a complete idiot.
Bridget said…
I am AWFUL at basketball, but I'm going to try and come on the days Justin is home. Unfortunately he's in SLC today, so I'm off the hook. Lucky for you that you don't see my craziness, but I'll definitely join you soon!
Janalee said…
YOu did great!!! Next week will be even better I am sure!
Amber said…
oh no. i don't think i could do that. organize a talent show...no problem. put on an entire stake play...sure. but dribble a basket ball with someone trying to stop me...oh no. good luck with that my dear brave girl. :)
Lori said…
I can't wait to hear how it went!!!!!!!
Scooby and Jon said…
I hope you had fun, and the other girls played nicely!

Popular Posts