From Chaos to Order?

WARNING: random ranting from a housewife driven to the brink of madness by her wildly chaotic and super disorganized house. If you know a thing or two about getting organized, please feel free to share your thoughts, tips or advise, and possibly a message or two of hope would be good- is it really possible to have your house in order, and still have the freedom to live, play and enjoy life?

So, it's a new year- a pretty common time to set goals, resolutions, make new starts etc. And believe me, I've always been right there on that wagon- I've thought it such a great time to start fresh and become the version of me I've always wanted... but in recent years I've gotten a bit pessimistic over it all. My goals had been set pretty high, and by February or sometimes March, the flame of excitement had burned out! BUT, this year I decided to try to keep it simple (that's actually my goal for the year) and to do so, I thought the best thing for me, the thing I needed the most was to GET ORGANIZED!

The problem I am realizing now is that I am not naturally gifted in that area. I go to organize and a million different ideas come to mind and I can't decide which method would be the most effective, and then I think I'll just come back to this one later. So, right now I have quite the list of 'organizing to get back to'. Not to mention that when organizing you need a place for everything, which can mean the need to purchase containers, shelves and so forth, which then could mean spending money on such resources- sigh - I think this may be an area where I need some serious help! I would love any cheap, simple ideas that have worked for people out there!

So, I've set this goal to get organized, I've worked on it here and there, but I still have the big question looming over head- is this really possible, and will it really help me in reaching a more simple, and orderly lifestyle? In my mind I have this picture of a home with places for everything, so cleaning up is simple. The laundry is minimal and can be done quickly each day, or every other day. There is a set time for some deep cleaning once a week, but the rest of the week is just light keep up work. Bills are organized, and mail is opened regularly and put in its place so it's not lost or piled for weeks. And with all of this established, housework doesn't consume me, but it has its time, and the rest of the time can be devoted to playing, creating, adventures and fun- making memories with the calm and peace of not having mountains to do, and not having the dread of someone stopping by only to find that a whirlwind tornado just hit the house, and chaos is inevitable!

It's funny, because as I was writing all my hopes for my house, I realized that once again this is quite the lofty goal. And to tell the truth I do not know how possible it really is. Has anyone reached a point where they feel the way I just described? Is it possible to go from chaos to order? Well, I guess that rather than my goal or resolution, this will be more of an experiment. I've decided to just tackle one nasty spot at a time. I am starting with the laundry, working to get caught up, and then we will see if I can keep up on it, and not feel like it is ruling my life. From there I think I will try the bills and papers that pile up so easily in my house! I'll just take it a little at a time, and maybe, just maybe by the end of the year I will have something that works for our home, and doesn't make me absolutely batty. We'll just see.

Comments

sweetpea#1 said…
I have some little things I do to try to keep my sanity in the absolute tornado of my own home.

1. A lable maker- I used this to get to that state of "a place where everything belongs" since there is a lable stating exactly what needs to be in each spot and NOTHING else.

2. A dry erase board with my most basic responsibilities in order of the day that I just check off one by one as I go. I feel so good about myself as I see more and more checked off in my day. I use that same lable maker with magnet lables and a magnetic dry erase board to put them on. I love it and it simplifies my daily tasks and breaks them down.

3. When I get completely overwhelmed, I either pick only one focus and tackle it solely or I set a timer and give 15 minutes to each room. As soon as the timer goes off, I walk away and go to the next room or project because then I feel like I have physically touched each room in my home in only about 2 hours total. This is for when things are completely disasterous in all areas of the home for me.

4. Lastly, when I am trying to just take things one step at a time, I give each room in the house it's own day. Mondays are for opening, shredding, or filing away all mail from the week and loose papers. I also change all the sheets and clean out all the garbages. Tuesdays are for the children's bathroom. Wednesdays are for my own bedroom. Ect... Just adjust it to your six or five days a week that you plan to do a little on each.

I hope I have helped in your simplifying and organizing. It has been a big deal for me with three kids and a baby on the way for sure! Good luck...
ZEKE said…
I think its really hard to avoid the chaos when you have little ones at home. Just do enough organizing to keep you sane for now, and when the kids are older there will be more time for it. And it will be more rewarding - its amazing how fast a room that was just picked up can look like a tornado went through it. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
The Youngs said…
Kiersten, here are some of the "methods" I use. I hope they help/inspire you!

1. We try not to have a lot of "stuff" to start off with. The less things you have, the less things there are to worry about taking care of. However, I've noticed with having a child, "stuff" quickly accumulates. Hence the reason why we are saving things in the garage for a wonderful yard sale this spring!

2. Laundry can multiply like crazy. Especially if you are potty training. :) We have a pretty small clothes hamper in our bedroom. When it fills up, it's time for 1-2 loads of laundry. I usually have about 4 loads a week. When it's done in the dryer, fold it and put it away. Have your kids help. Caylee LOVES doing laundry.

3. Let your kids help out with the household chores. Caylee loves "folding" laundry. She thinks she's helping & has fun with it. She also loves washing dishes, vacuuming, and dusting with me. Give your kids responsibilites if they don't have some already. Most kids seem thrilled with the idea of helping out.

4. When you get the mail each day, sort it out into bills & junk. Immediately toss the junk. It's just more clutter. Open the bills & write the due date on the outter envelope. We usually write the due dates on our calendar too so we don't forget! Keep them all in one spot. Do you have a mail holder? We don't, but we have a special spot on our counter just for the bills.

5. Make a meal schedule, or even just a meal menu before/after shopping. This is something I just recently started. I keep mine on the fridge. It has helped me out A LOT! Some days I would sit for 1-2 hours trying to think of something for dinner. Now, I have a short list to choose from.

6. Make a list of things you want to accomplish each day. I agree that by checking things off, you feel productive.

7. Set the timer and have everyone clean up. We usually do this in the living room/kitchen area. I set the timer for 5 minutes and everyone runs around and cleans/puts things away as fast as they can. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done.

8. Enjoy life. Sometimes the cleaning doesn't get done. Sometimes the house is a mess & sometimes you just don't get the floors mopped for a month. Kids are only little for a short while. As each day passes, you can't get it back. So as much as we all want our homes to be better, cleaner, etc., it's not something to stress over. If it needs getting done & it's important, it'll get done. The smaller things can wait.

** When you seem overwhelmed, just remember that you are a BUSY mom of 2 1/4 kids & that you are doing the absolute best that you can!**

Popular Posts