learning

I like to think we are all about learning and education in our home.
After all, Matthew and I have spent about ten of our nearly twelve years of marriage in school:)
So, I would think that could mean that we value education, or we're a little insane… or a little of both?

Since completing my own schooling years ago there have been some skills and talents I've wanted to develop, and some I have been trying to develop over time.
In moments like this right now as I am typing, where I have two kids sitting on my lap as I am attempting to accomplish something- (not to mention, these two were perfectly content playing on their own when I sat down, but that never lasts long- they have built in sensors that lead them to swarm within moments of me becoming engaged in something:) - I get to feeling like my efforts are a bit ineffective or even futile, and perhaps it would be better if I quit and not concern myself with such things.

But yesterday, Matt and I taught in our youth Sunday School class, the value and blessing of education and learning, and I felt so inspired!  We read in 2 Nephi "For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little…" 

And then I came across this quote from C.S. Lewis that also touched me,  "The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable. Favorable conditions never come."

And there you have it!

Little by little, even in my conditions that are not always favorable for learning certain things I am trying to learn, it will come!  I'm also learning, that the lessons I am looking for may not always fit into my world right now, but there are numberless lessons to be learned all around me, like just how to paint, as Gibbs puts it, "Life of Tree".







Matt helped Gibbs start this little Tree of Life painting- or as Gibbs calls it "Life of Tree!", and Gibbs and I finished it today.


Comments

kelsey said…
This is so good, learning is so good! And that tiny easel is so good!

Popular Posts