Deep Breaths
Symptoms: heightened lack of patience with kids, shortness of temper with spouse, general increase in raging mood swings.
My own diagnosis: Postpartum Rage.

I went to the doctor for a postpartum appointment and he asked me a series of questions including "do you have postpartum depression?" To which I answered no, but then thought to myself, do I actually know that? I reviewed my emotional state, and the wide range of moods I have experienced since having a baby and again came to the conclusion that no, I do not have depression. I then went on to say to the doctor (laughing a little at my own cleverness- or so I thought it clever) "I think I may have postpartum rage though!" He didn't seem to find that very entertaining, and continued with his questioning- "so have you experienced mood swings then?" To which I replied, "yes".
I've realized in the past few weeks that my mood swings have been more severe since having my third baby- and while I may have some pretty good justification; mother of three kids now, moved just after having a baby, moved from my darling house into a shoebox apartment, my husband is now a student again- and many of you can sympathize with how fun that is! - I'd really rather not continue on this path toward becoming a shrew of a wife and a witch of a mom!
So the Remedy: well, at this point I think I will start with deep breaths.
My own diagnosis: Postpartum Rage.

I went to the doctor for a postpartum appointment and he asked me a series of questions including "do you have postpartum depression?" To which I answered no, but then thought to myself, do I actually know that? I reviewed my emotional state, and the wide range of moods I have experienced since having a baby and again came to the conclusion that no, I do not have depression. I then went on to say to the doctor (laughing a little at my own cleverness- or so I thought it clever) "I think I may have postpartum rage though!" He didn't seem to find that very entertaining, and continued with his questioning- "so have you experienced mood swings then?" To which I replied, "yes".
I've realized in the past few weeks that my mood swings have been more severe since having my third baby- and while I may have some pretty good justification; mother of three kids now, moved just after having a baby, moved from my darling house into a shoebox apartment, my husband is now a student again- and many of you can sympathize with how fun that is! - I'd really rather not continue on this path toward becoming a shrew of a wife and a witch of a mom!
So the Remedy: well, at this point I think I will start with deep breaths.


Comments
if anyone can do it kierst - it's you - i have always admired your mothering skills and look up to you a ton.
i'd say breathe, give matt a kiss, let your kids run naked, and drink a smoothie a day until it gets too cold out - then switch to hot cocoa.
xoxo.
ps. you are so very clever.